Friday, January 6, 2012

The Best Thing I've Ever Bought


The best thing I've ever purchased was an inexpensive souvenir that I'll keep forever.

At the Silhouette Studio in Disneyland, there are two (only two, can you believe that?) women who create silhouette portraits for you and your loved ones. They're hands-down the most creative keepsake in the park, and they're timeless-- they'll look just as good on my wall in 50 years as they do right now!

The first time I had my silhouette done, I was 16, with short hair and glasses on. I left my glasses on for my portrait, and I ended up looking like a grandma! It's all my fault though--the woman who cut out my portrait (they delicately cut your silhouette out of black cardstock) asked me to take my glasses off, and I said no... :o)

Fast-forward to this summer. I'd been meaning to get my silhouette done again, this time with my boyfriend, whom my family brought along on our vacation. Every time I meant to go into the Studio, I got sidetracked by something else (Disneyland is like the ADD capital of the world, I swear!). But on the last night, as my boyfriend, sister and I were leaving the park, I remembered to hit the Studio on our way down Main Street. And man, was I ever impressed!

The woman who cut our silhouettes (I posed with my man, as you can see from the picture) captured us in intricate detail! I love that she followed the curve of my waves, eyelashes and button nose, and even took care to show my man's facial hair. That is talent, my friends.

At $9 for two copies of the silhouette (one for him and one for me) and $10.95 for the frame (I put the new portrait in my old frame from when I was 16 and let the boyfriend have the new frame), it's an amazing decoration that cozies up our home and didn't drain our wallet.

You can find more rave reviews of the Disneyland Silhouette Studio here.

No comments:

Post a Comment